The Fine Print
All sessions will take place in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
The schedule of sessions for the Class of 2020 is:
- Thursday and Friday, September 19 and 20, 2019
- Friday, October 25, 2019
- Friday, November 22, 2019
- Friday, January 10, 2020
- Friday, February 7, 2020
- Friday, March 6, 2020
- Thursday, April 2, 2020
- Friday, May 15, 2020
Sessions run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m., except for the opening day, which starts and ends one hour later. The sessions for the Class of 2021 will follow a similar cadence.
In between sessions, Fellows have assignments to do individually and/or with their cohorts, including one topic that each cohort will address independently at a time it determines.
Fellows complete a 360 assessment and receive an initial coaching session during the summer preceding the start of the their Academy sessions.
Tuition for Class of 2020 Fellows is $4,950 for ACC NCR members and $5,335 for non-members (which includes one year of membership in ACC and ACC NCR). This amount was unchanged from the cost of the program for the Class of 2019. We are optimistic that we will maintain the same tuition for the Class of 2021, but expect to set the amount in late 2019.
Tuition includes a 360 assessment, two coaching sessions, and a full-year subscription to the Harvard Business Review.
For the Class of 2020, financial aid was available to reduce the tuition for a limited number of applicants who were self-paying at least a portion of the tuition. Aid awards were limited to $1,450 per person. We hope to be able to offer financial aid to a limited number of applicants for the Class of 2021.
The Leadership Academy is a robust cohort-based leadership development program that will take place over a nine month period. In addition to dynamic, in-person sessions with the Academy faculty, Fellows will engage in small working groups, both at the in-person sessions and in working-group sessions held in between the formal meetings. This group, or cohort, is a critical component of the program and much of the hands-on leadership development will be accomplished within these cohorts. The cohorts are small, with 5-6 individuals in each, and the success of the program depends on full participation in the cohort group as well as the faculty-led sessions. A Fellow’s failure to meet the obligations to their cohort will affect their own, as well as other Fellows’, experience and learning continuity. We estimate no more than 8-10 hours of preparation time each month and believe that the course assignments will not present an undue burden for Fellows.
Consequently, upon acceptance to the Academy, each Fellow will be asked to acknowledge and agree as follows:
- I am committed to attending and fully participating in all Academy events, including sessions with my cohort group in between the formal Academy sessions. If a situation arises that prevents my attendance at any Academy activity, I will notify Ilene Reid as soon as I become aware of the situation. Full participation may include some or all of the following requirements: independent reading; in-person or video meeting with the cohort group between sessions; additional casework and video presentations.
- I am committed to arriving at each in-person Academy session with an open and inquiring mind, a willingness to learn and a respectful attitude towards the opinions of the other Fellows and the faculty.
- I am committed to completing all course assignments within the timeframe specified by the faculty and my cohort as appropriate.
- I am committed to securing the necessary time away from my place of employment and other work and personal obligations in order to attend all in-person Academy sessions and to be present for the full day of each session. I understand that this commitment will require nine (9) full program days, and two (2) or three (3) evening events. I am committed to full engagement at each session and will minimize interruptions and distractions during each session, including limiting or avoiding checking e-mail, taking or making calls etc. during the active part of each session. I understand that there will be limited breaks to attend to time-urgent matters.
- I have informed my professional manager and business clients (where appropriate) of these commitments.