Module 8 Briefing Sheet / Class of 2022
MY JOURNEY TOWARD LEADERSHIP MASTERY
Click the appropriate title below to download:
- Module 8 (2022) Briefing Sheet (.docx)
In his book “Outliers,” author/speaker Malcolm Gladwell wrote that "ten thousand hours is the magic number of greatness." He recognized that with requisite talent, people who practiced and learned in their discipline for a minimum of 10,000 hours, could reach a level of true mastery. MIT professor Peter Senge (The 5th Discipline) develops a similar theme when he identifies individual (and organizational) learning disciplines. “Personal Mastery,” for Senge, is a set of specific principles and practices that enables a person to learn and expand their capacity to create the results they desire. To understand ourselves, to know our purpose in life, and to direct our energies by using our strengths, is to create more meaningful contributions in life and work.
As we conclude our Leadership Academy curriculum, take time to reflect on what have you been learning, internalizing, practicing, and applying. What do you notice about your own development and the development of members of your cohort? In this final Module, you will share your own Personal Mastery story in “Capstone” remarks to a group of Academy Fellows and invited guests from the Academy community, ACC NCR leadership, and Leadership Academy Steering Committee.
- Self-assessment of ACC NCR Leadership Competency
- Look back and review any notes and reflections you have from the beginning of the Leadership Academy:
- Your Leadership Circle Profile assessment and Personal Development Plan, notes on accomplishments and milestones.
- Any personal notes and reflections that you’ve prepared over the course of the Leadership Academy.
- Any feedback on your leadership that you have received from your learning cohort, facilitators, and work colleagues.
- ACC Docket, “The Value of Acknowledging Your Internal Client’s Good Work” (Robert Falk and Robert Calabrese, November 2016)
- Complete the self-assessment
- Review your LCP and Personal Development Plan notes
- Read the ACC Docket article (“The Value of Acknowledging Your Internal Client’s Good Work”) to help prepare you to give effective feedback to your colleagues’ presentations
Using these materials, prepare a 4-5 minute Capstone presentation on the topic of “My Journey Toward Leadership Mastery” that you will deliver during the Module day.
Your Capstone Presentation should highlight a significant and specific learning experience about yourself as a leader (especially in this unsettled time) in your professional environment that is directly correlated to your learning through the Leadership Academy. As you develop your remarks, envision your intended audience as members of your leadership team or the team you lead. This is an oral presentation – no visuals. (Your actual audience will be 6-8 others -- Fellows from other cohorts and some invited guests from the Academy Board of Advisors and Steering Committee, and the ACC NCR Board of Directors. One person from each group will have the opportunity to present their remarks to all who are attending this session.)
Here are some “prompts” that can help you think about your topic and framework for your remarks:
- How will you own your personal leadership journey?
- Do you notice any particular themes that have coalesced for you since we began? g., These competencies have come up in several modules: Personal Brand; Emotional Intelligence; Authenticity. Pick one.
- How has your understanding of the importance of that competency evolved over the course of the Academy?
- How have you used that understanding to present yourself differently than you had before? – or -- How have you integrated your learning into your own leadership practice with regard to one of the operational competencies (e.g., leading high-performing teams; developing vision; managing change; etc.)?
- What specifically did you set out to discover, learn, and develop for yourself as a leader? Why was this important for you? – or -- Was there something you learned in a module that you explored more deeply on your own? Where did that exploration take you? What have you put into practice as a result, and what are you finding?
- What specific learning goal did you accomplish? What impact has that had on your leadership? On others?
- Now that you have been digesting the “lead from any seat” message for the past nine months, how has that landed for you? How would you describe your confidence and competence to “lead from your seat” today vs. last October?
- How are you committed to on-going development as a leader?
- What are you doing as a result of the professional development plan you put together from your 360 results or from your Academy learning? What are you being intentional about now? What has shifted for you because of the LCP results, and what caused the shift?
- What kind of impact are you having today as a leader, and upon which Academy learnings is that based? How has the Academy experience impacted your significant relationships in your organization – with stakeholders, clients, and the members of your own legal department?
- What has been the most significant takeaway for you from your Academy experience, and why?
- How can you inspire us, and others, as a result of your leadership journey?
Two important notes:
- This is not a re-telling or summary of your takeaways from each of the previous seven Modules. Rather, we are asking you to select and explore a specific theme or thread from your Academy experience.
- Refer back to Module 7: how will you use feedback that you received, best practices that you learned, and personal takeaways to help you develop and deliver your Capstone presentation?
- Check in and share any additional learning from the previous session
- Share your Development Plan accomplishments and your intentions for ongoing development
- Share your Self-assessment and note areas of awareness and development
- Share “highlights” (and any “lowlight” moments) of your Leadership Academy learning experience. What lasting impact will these have on you?
- Deliver a formal presentation (4-5 minutes) summarizing your ACC NCR Leadership Academy experience.
- Experience how you inspire others through your own personal story.
- Learn how to provide actionable feedback.
- Savor your success, having accomplished milestone goals in your Development Plan.