Module 3 Briefing Sheet
Building and Leading High Performing teams
Click the appropriate title below to download:
- 2022 Module 3 Presentation Slides (.pdf)
- 2022 Module 3 Workbook - with slides and exercises (.pptx)
- Takeaway for Module 3 (.pdf)
- Module 3 Briefing Sheet (.docx)
Reminder: Some of the pre-work is intended to provide foundational information. While some items of pre-work may not be discussed during the Academy session, it provides a necessary introduction to the material that will allow our faculty to maximize facilitation time when we are together for each seminar.
- Corentus podcast: “The Corentus Team Wheel” (Jennifer Budd, 2021) (https://accglobal.sharepoint.com/:v:/s/ACCNationalCapitalRegionChapter/EbWjDSGcldFAoJ0Zg6nSR20BvXt2wIoukBg1pxtkuGewSw?e=XVfw2V) (19 minutes)
- Corentus Mini-book Series - “Team Frameworks” excerpt on “Team Life Cycle” (2020)
- Corentus podcast: “Common Purpose and Shared Goals” (Amy Yeager and Alexander Caillet, 2022) (https://accglobal.sharepoint.com/:v:/s/ACCNationalCapitalRegionChapter/EemqMpIRBsJMhkmVidynBdoBzCuLKYLFbTJLqlXRpl2x5w?e=ZOcgoa) (34 minutes)
- See also, Corentus podcast "Episode Guide: The Team Wheel" (2022)
- Mobius Strip: “The Team Adaptability Advantage” (Alexander Caillet and Amy Yeager).
- Harvard Business Review: “How Your State of Mind Affects Your Performance” (Alexander Caillet, Jeremy Hirshberg and Stefano Petti, December 8, 2014) (https://hbr.org/2014/12/how-your-state-of-mind-affects-your-performance)
- OPTIONAL Corentus, Inc., channel on YouTube: “Is Your Team Doing ‘Real Work’?” (Alexander Caillet, March 18, 2019) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShXXHacELuI&list=PLhyfXzgFDKPvj8GUa7lSLQfz6gge61-Ur&index=6
ASSIGNMENTS AND PERSONAL REFLECTIONS
- For each section, below:
- Read / watch / listen to each of the materials listed above.
- Consider the Personal Reflection Questions below through the lens of the team that you report into and (if you have a team of direct reports) that you lead.
- Reflect on Corentus podcast “The Team Wheel” presented by Jennifer Budd:
- Take time to pause the recording and respond to Jennifer’s reflection questions
- Consider the following and share your responses with your Cohort:
- How clear is the team’s Common Purpose?
- How well are Roles clearly defined, respected and leveraged?
- How would you describe your team’s collaboration and cohesion?
- What best practices does your team engage to hold one another mutually accountable?
- Read the Corentus Mini-book Series excerpt provided -- “Team Life Cycle” (part of "Team Frameworks") -- and reflect on:
- In which phase(s) would you place the groups and/or teams your lead or are a part of in your Legal department?
- How long have they been in this phase and what, if relevant, would it take for them to move to the next phase?
- Reflect on the Corentus podcast “Common Purpose and Shared Goals” presented by Amy Yeager and Alexander Calliet:
- Does your team seem more like a workgroup? A team, that leans in and is interdependent? Or a hybrid?
- To what extent does your team have a sense of common purpose, shared goals and interdependent collaboration?
- Alexander mentions 4 types of work on a team: Visionary, Strategic, Operational, and Tactical. What does the “mix” or allocation of time and energy look like on your team.
- How has your team’s sense of purpose been intentionally nurtured through the pandemic?
- Reflect on Caillet and Yeager’s “The Adaptability Advantage”:
- Which operating mode do the groups and/or teams you lead or a party of operate most frequently from in your Legal department?
- Why is this?
- If relevant, what other mode or modes do you believe are possible?
- Consider Caillet’s “How Your State of Mind Affects Your Performance”:
- What is the impact of your state of mind on your environment – both personal and professional.
- What practices do you use to manage your state of mind on a daily basis?
COHORT MEETING (Meet to discuss the following BEFORE Classroom Session)
- Based on personal preference or as agreed upon by your Cohort, discuss your responses to the Personal Reflection Questions
MODULE 3 LEARNING OBJECTIVES
- Learn the dynamics of a team’s Life Cycle and why each is important
- Learn the various Operating Modes groups and teams can work from and the competitive advantage that is born out of being able to move back-and-forth across these modes
- Learn the four primary Team Leadership Styles, define your primary and secondary styles, and discover the power born out of being able to step into all of them
- Learn and practice one of the essential dimensions of high performing teams: Common Purpose and Shared Goals
- Learn about the impact of State of Mind on team Buoyancy, Safety and Performance and explore a suite of tools and techniques to achieve the optimal states of mind for your groups and/or teams