Module 7 Briefing Sheet
Click the appropriate title below to download:
- Presentation Development Worksheet (.pdf)
- Story Spine Worksheet (.pdf)
- Module 7 Takeaways (.pdf)
- Module 7 Slides (final) (.pdf)
- Module 7 (2022) Briefing Sheet (.docx)
The focus of this Module will be on learning how to develop a narrative for an effective presentation and how to tailor that presentation for the audience and the environment in which you are presenting (in-person, virtual or hybrid).
- Harvard Business Review, "How to Give a Killer Presentation" (Chris Anderson, June 2013)
- Harvard Business Review, "Create a Conversation, Not a Presentation" (John Coleman, July 29, 2015)
- Harvard Business Review, “How to Nail a Hybrid Presentation” (Sarah Gershman and Rae Ringel, May 5, 2021)
- Harvard Business Review, “Crush Your Next Virtual Presentation” (Gia Storms, January 6, 2021)
- Prepare a 2-3 minute presentation about “a lesson that I’ve learned in life.” Your audience for the presentation will be other members of the class.
- Before your next cohort meeting, deliberately observe the presentation skills of speakers at meetings that include hybrid, in-person, and all-virtual channels. Use a notebook with you to capture your experience.
- How would you evaluate each speaker’s eye contact? Natural smile? Pace? Tone of voice? Volume? Ability to connect quickly with you? Hold your attention?
- How would you evaluate the overall content of their presentations?
- How did the virtual environment impact both the speaker and your ability to listen?
- Today – now removed from the presentation(s) what do you recall? What lasting impression have they had on you?
- Bring with you to your cohort meeting a past slide deck that you have used for a presentation. (If you don’t have one of your own, bring a deck from a presentation you attended.) Spend some time with your group looking at each other’s decks and talking about what stands out as effective and what challenges you see.
- What is your current belief about yourself as a public speaker?
- Why would someone go out of their way to hear you deliver a presentation?
- What kind of feedback have you received recently about a presentation you have given?
- How do you try to differentiate yourself as a speaker?
COHORT MEETING (Meet to discuss the following BEFORE Classroom Session)
- Check in and share any additional learning from the previous session.
- Share your observations of speakers at meetings and their impact on you.
- Share your takeaways from the readings.
- Learn the requisite non-verbal communication strategies that create positive connections
- Learn how to develop your own narrative as a context for “Why”, “How,” and “What” you want to convey in your messages
- Learn how to create engaging first impressions that get attention quickly
- Learn how to craft a powerful close that creates a lasting impression
- Practice delivering a short presentation with peer and instructor feedback
- Consider the impact of the virtual and hybrid settings on presentations
- Prepare for the final Module at which you will present a formal presentation to other members of the Class of 2022, members of the Board of Advisors, and other invited ACC NCR members.