The Association of Corporate Counsel National Capital Region Leadership Academy (the “Academy”) is a robust cohort-based leadership development program that will take place over a nine-month period. In addition to dynamic, in-person sessions with the Academy faculty, Fellows will engage in small working groups ("cohorts"), both at the in-person sessions and in preparation for sessions. Cohort work is a critical component of the program and how much of the hands-on leadership development will be accomplished. The cohorts are small, with 5-6 individuals in each, and the success of the program depends on full participation in the cohort group as well as the faculty-led sessions. A Fellow’s failure to meet the obligations to their cohort will affect their own, as well as other Fellows’, experience and learning continuity. We estimate no more than 8-10 hours of preparation time each month and believe that the course assignments will not present an undue burden for Fellows.
Consequently, upon acceptance to the Academy, I agree as follows:
- I am committed to attending and fully participating in all Academy events, including sessions with my cohort group in between the formal Academy sessions. If a situation arises that prevents my attendance at any Academy activity, I will notify Ilene Reid as soon as I become aware of the situation. Full participation may include some or all of the following requirements: independent reading; in-person or video meeting with the cohort group between sessions; additional casework and video presentations.
- I am committed to arriving at each in-person Academy and cohort meeting with an open and inquiring mind, a willingness to learn and a respectful attitude towards the opinions of the other Fellows and the faculty.
- I am committed to completing all course assignments within the timeframe specified by the faculty and my cohort, as appropriate.
- I am committed to securing the necessary time away from my place of employment and other work and personal obligations in order to attend all in-person Academy sessions and to arrive timely and be present for the full day of each session. I understand that this commitment will require nine (9) full program days, two (2) or three (3) evening events, and cohort meetings between sessions. I am committed to full engagement at each session and cohort meeting, and will minimize interruptions and distractions, including limiting or avoiding checking e-mail, taking or making calls, etc., during the active part of each session and cohort meeting. I understand that there will be limited breaks to attend to time-urgent matters.
- I have informed my professional manager and business clients (where appropriate) of these commitments.