The Association of Corporate Counsel National Capital Region Leadership Academy (the “Academy”) is a robust cohort-based leadership development program that will take place over a nine-month period. In addition to dynamic sessions led by the Academy faculty, Fellows will engage in small working groups ("cohorts"), both at the main sessions and in preparation for sessions. Cohort work is a critical component of the program and how much of the hands-on leadership development will be accomplished. The cohorts are small, with 5-6 individuals in each, and the success of the program depends on full participation in the cohort group as well as the faculty-led sessions. A Fellow’s failure to meet their obligations to their cohort will affect their own, as well as other Fellows’, experience and learning continuity. We estimate no more than 8-10 hours of preparation time each month and believe that the course assignments will not present an undue burden for Fellows. Unless otherwise noted, Academy sessions run a full day.
Consequently, upon acceptance to the Academy, I agree as follows:
- I am committed to attending and fully participating in all Academy events, including meetings with my cohort group in between the formal Academy sessions. If a situation arises that prevents my attendance at any Academy activity, I will notify Ilene Reid as soon as I become aware of the situation. Full participation may include some or all of the following requirements: independent reading; in-person or video meeting with the cohort group between sessions; additional casework and video presentations.
- I am committed to arriving at each Academy session and cohort meeting with an open and inquiring mind, a willingness to learn and a respectful attitude towards the opinions of the other Fellows and the faculty.
- I am committed to completing all course assignments within the time frame specified by the faculty and my cohort, as appropriate.
- I am committed to securing the necessary time away from my place of employment and other work and personal obligations in order to attend all Academy sessions (whether conducted in-person or virtually) and to arrive timely and be present for the full day of each session. I understand that this commitment will require: two (2) half-days for the Academy Orientation and Introductory Module; nine (9) full-day sessions; two (2) or three (3) evening events; and cohort meetings between sessions. I am committed to full engagement at each session and cohort meeting, and will minimize interruptions and distractions, including limiting or avoiding checking e-mail, taking or making calls, etc., during the active part of each session and cohort meeting. I understand that there will be limited breaks to attend to time-urgent matters.
- I have informed my professional manager and business clients (where appropriate) of these commitments.