The Leadership Academy is a robust, cohort-based leadership development program geared exclusively to in-house counsel. The Academy consists of eight faculty-led sessions and one cohort-led session over a nine-month period.
To learn more, read the Program Overview.
As a chief legal officer or senior manager, you want to reward talented members of your team with opportunities to develop professional skills that will bring them career satisfaction and enhance their value to your organization in these ways:
- Build your leadership bench and improve performance of your team with proven leadership training.
- Deliver on meaningful professional development that will enhance your team’s overall performance.
- Help a member of your team recharge, assess and set personal growth objectives.
- Invest in those who have a proven ability and a desire to excel.
The ACC NCR Leadership Academy is:
- Specifically tailored to provide the next generation of in-house counsel leaders the skills to enhance their value to your organization.
- Developed by in-house counsel for in-house counsel, with engagement and input from our distinguished Board of Advisors, to ensure focus on the challenges and opportunities unique to the practice.
- Taught locally by nationally recognized faculty, affording the highest caliber development opportunity, without added travel time or expense.
- In-depth development and learning, with minimal disruption to your organization. Nine full program days spanning over the course of nine months. Each session will run for a single day, except for the opening session, which will span two days.
- Focused on developing concrete and practical skills. The program will include personal benchmarking and goal setting, a leadership assessment, and at least one personal coaching session aimed at ensuring attainment of articulated growth objectives.
- Program format includes cohort engagement outside of the classroom to optimize and reinforce the key takeaways from the instructor-led sessions.
- For the Class of 2019, the fee willl be $4,950 for ACC NCR members ($5,335 for non-members), including a leadership assessment.
All sessions will take place in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. We anticipate the schedule for the Class of 2019 will be similar to the Class of 2018 schedule (provided below), in that sessions will begin in September and continue monthly (except for December) through May. Sessions will run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., except for the opening and closings session days, which are likely to start and end one hour later.
Class of 2018 Sessions:
- Thursday and Friday, September 14 and 15, 2017
- Friday, October 6, 2017
- Friday, November 3, 2017
- Friday, January 12, 2018
- Friday, February 9, 2018
- Friday, March 9, 2018
- Thursday, April 12, 2018
- Friday, May 11, 2018
There will also be work between sessions that Fellows will do individually and with their cohorts, including one topic that each cohort will address independently, with the dates determined by each cohort.
The ACC NCR Leadership Academy curriculum was developed by in-house counsel for in-house counsel to provide the skills necessary to become a trusted advisor and leader, and to bridge the partner/guardian tension inherent in the in-house counsel role.
Fellows will develop core self-management, relationship management, and leadership skills through the Academy’s sessions on:
- Emotional intelligence, executive presence, and authentic leadership.
- Interpersonal communication.
- Developing and leading high performing teams.
- Creating and inspiring vision, and leading and managing change.
- Managing difficult conversations, and Influencing and negotiating.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Presentation skills.
- Task management and delegating.
Each session will be highly interactive, teaching skills through a variety of approaches including simulation; role-play and modeling; collaboration and exchange of best practices; dialogue with experts from an array of fields; case studies; and other cohort and personal exercises.
There will be a class of approximately 30 participants – known as Fellows – selected from a variety of industries and organizations from across the National Capital Region. Each Fellow will also collaborate with a smaller working group (“cohort”) to optimize learning and support one another’s professional growth and development.
In-depth class discussions will be led by faculty chosen for their expertise in leadership and their ability to translate concepts into practical takeaways. Between sessions, Fellows will be expected to read, engage in personal reflection and complete specific exercises with their cohort.
You will develop your ability to lead through a best-in-class program geared exclusively to in-house counsel. Through the ACC National Capital Region Leadership Academy, you will:
- Set, benchmark and work toward your personal growth and leadership objectives.
- Develop the skills and tools to succeed at the highest levels of your organization, including:
- Honing your ability to communicate, influence and negotiate across teams and in the C-suite.
- Creating and inspiring vision, and managing change.
- Contributing to and leading high-performing teams.
- Applying best practices for problem-solving and decision-making.
- Become a trusted advisor, able to bridge the partner/guardian tension inherent in the in-house role.
- Build strong professional relationships and expand your network across an array of industries and organizations here in the National Capital Region.
In order to participate, you must have:
- Practiced law for a minimum of seven years,
- Practiced in-house for a minimum to two years, and
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities.
Preference will be given to current ACC NCR members. If you currently are not a member, you can join by clicking here. If you are a non-member at the time of selection, your tuition will be adjusted to include a year's membership in ACC and ACC NCR.
We seek Fellows from a broad range of industries and non-profit organizations, as well as a mix of large and small legal departments, to optimize the opportunity for you to learn from one another, both in the classroom and in smaller cohort settings. No more than two (2) Fellows from any single employer will be accepted for the Class of 2019.
Tuition for Class of 2019 Fellows will be $4,950 for ACC NCR members and $5,335 for non-members (which includes one year of membership in ACC and ACC NCR).
Tuition includes a 360 assessment, one to two coaching sessions and a full-year subscription to the Harvard Business Review.
If you are interested in the Academy for yourself or for a member of your team, we urge you to seek the necessary budgetary approval from your organization to be part of this excellent program.
Tuition will be due in full within ten days of notice of admission.
Financial aid will be available to reduce the tuition for a limited number of applicants who are self-paying at least a portion of the tuition. Aid awards, for as long as they are available, will not exceed $1,450 per person. Apply early if you need financial aid to participate. The Application portal will be updated when available financial aid has been exhausted.
The application for the ACC NCR Leadership Academy Class of 2019 will open on February 1, 2018. At that time, applicants will be able to create, populate, and save drafts of their applications, and generate a link for their reference(s) to upload recommendations.
Applicants can submit their completed applications for consideration starting on March 1, 2018. All interested applicants are strongly encouraged to submit their completed applications on March 1. Applications will be time-stamped upon submission and will be reviewed in the order received.
Application decisions will be made on a rolling basis, starting in early March, to form a well-balanced, high-caliber class. Once the Class if full, notice will be posted on the Academy website and in the weekly chapter e-newsletter.
No more than two (2) Fellows from any single employer will be accepted for the Class of 2019.
Send an email to info@accncrleadershipacademy.
ACC National Capital Region (ACC NCR) is the premiere professional association for in-house lawyers in Washington, D.C., the Commonwealth of Virginia and suburban Maryland. We are the regional chapter of the global Association of Corporate Counsel.
With more than 2,500 members from approximately 900 private-sector organizations, ACC NCR is committed to enhancing the personal and professional lives of its members by helping them to become smarter, save time and money, and advance their careers through education, fellowship, and public service. More information about the organization can be found at www.acc.com/chapters/ncr/.