Successful in-house counsel leaders are able to navigate the divide that can exist between an organization’s business needs and interests and the constraints imposed by legal and compliance realities.
The ACC NCR Leadership Academy curriculum was developed by in-house counsel for in-house counsel to provide the skills necessary to become a trusted advisor and leader, and to strike a good balance between the partner/guardian roles played by in-house counsel.
In the Classroom
Each session will be highly interactive, teaching leadership skills through a variety of approaches, including:
- Simulation, role-play and modeling
- Collaboration and exchange of best practices
- Dialogue with experts from an array of fields
- Case studies
- Other cohort and personal exercises
In-depth class discussions will be led by nationally recognized faculty chosen for their expertise in leadership and their ability to translate concepts into practical take-aways. Between sessions, Fellows will be expected to read and view videos, engage in personal reflection and discuss their learning with the members of their cohort.
For some quick insights to what resonated most deeply with the Fellows, please visit the Academy's page on LinkedIn.
The Academy Competencies
Fellows will develop core self-management, relationship management, and leadership skills through the Academy’s dynamic curriculum, including sessions on:
- Developing a personal leadership brand
- Being authentic, inclusive and connected -- leadership fundamentals
- Emotional intelligence and interpersonal communication
- Developing and leading high performing teams
- Creating organizational vision and inspiring stakeholders
- Leading and managing change
- Managing difficult conversations, and influencing stakeholders
- Problem-solving and strategic decision-making
- Presentation skills
- Task management and delegating
"Probably the most profound effect the Academy had on me was that it pushed me to reflect on my career path and goals. Starting with the very first lesson in the Academy, I was refocused on my leadership dream, my purpose and passion, and guided to develop the necessary skills and set goals accordingly. It motivated me, and in just a few short months, I had put a lot of the skills I learned in the Leadership Academy into practice."
Ilona Korzha Levine
Class of 2018 Fellow